Everyone likes playing games on digital devices like smartphones, consoles, PC, etc. but the most popular among them is the PC. Unlike other devices, you can easily upgrade or make changes to the PC to make it futureproof using CPU Temperature Monitor Tools. That is why game developers consider releasing a game for PC first and then for other devices. Considering the number of PC users around the world, Valve, a game developer company came up with a service named Steam. It is basically a digital video game distribution service which allows users to enjoy different kind of services like matchmaking servers, video streaming, and social networking services. You can also use Steam to install new games and to update the currently installed games without worrying about the sources.
Just like every other software, there are some issues with Steam too. Though the developers keep updating Steam more often and you should always consider using the latest version to keep problems out of your way. An error named “Steam Content File Locked” is very common among Steam users and there can be various reasons why this problem occurs. Just because this problem doesn’t have a single cause, multiple solutions are available to get rid of this. If you are facing content file locked Steam error, then you should fix it immediately as you won’t be able to download new games or update the current ones until it is resolved.
Here in this post, we are going to tell you everything about the Steam content file locked error and will provide you a couple of solutions as well to fix this issue. There are multiple ways of fixing Steam content file is locked error available out there so you must apply them one by one to check which one is working for you. Content file locked Steam download will be stopped because of this error and you won’t be able to update your games as well. We have mentioned the ways to fix Steam error content file locked on Windows PC, so if you are looking for Steam content file locked Linux or Steam content file locked MAC then you can try some of them. Let us also know in the comments below that which one worked for you. Let’s get started.
- 1 What Is Content File Locked Steam?
- 2 How To Fix Steam Content File Locked Error | Content File Locked Steam Fix
What Is Content File Locked Steam?
Usually, when you will try to download or update something using the Steam you will get this error with a message “Steam download paused content file locked”. It simply means that the Steam software is not able to write or update files to the hard disk. It doesn’t matter which game you are trying to download or update and you got this error. Below are some of the most popular searches from users facing this issue.
Steam update paused issue for CSGO content file locked, PUBG content file locked, Space Engineers content file locked, Dota 2 content file locked, paladins content file locked, smite content file locked, Miscreated content file locked, Payday 2 content file locked, Ark content file locked and many more.
- How To Fix: DNS Server Is Not Responding
What Causes Steam Game Content File Locked?
There can be many reasons behind “An error occurred while updating *game title* (content file locked)” problem. To fix this error you must know about its actual cause and it depends on your system that which solution will work best for you. We have mentioned some working ways below which are proven to fix Steam game content file locked error. Even if you are facing any other issues with your Steam or games with it, then you can try the fixes mentioned below to get rid of them. We will keep updating these methods with the latest information, so don’t worry about anything while following them.
- Corrupt Steam or Windows files.
- Missing DLL files.
- Not using the latest drivers.
- Antivirus causing issues with the Steam.
How To Fix Steam Content File Locked Error | Content File Locked Steam Fix
Fix 1. Find and Repair Corrupt Files
One of the best and working way to fix Steam file locked error is by repairing the corrupted files. If you are facing Steam content file locked PUBG error, then this is what you need. Most of the users were able to fix the content file locked error on Steam by repairing the corrupt files. There might be some corrupt or missing files in the Steam which are causing this problem and you will have to fix it manually as there is no way to do that automatically. Follow the below steps to fix the corrupt or missing files in Steam.
- First, exit Steam and open Steam Directory (where Steam is installed).
- Navigate to the Logs folder and open the TXT file.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and search for Recent Errors.
- Navigate to the Root MOD Folder.
- Restart Steam and open the Downloads Folder.
- Steam will ask you to Update Files.
- Click on Update and wait for the update to finish.
- Now try running the game and it will start working normally.
Fix 2. Reset Winsock Using CMD
- First of all, open Command Prompt (CMD) As Administrator.
- Type “netsh winsock reset” (without quotes).
- Press Enter and wait for the process to finish.
- Once done, Restart Your PC and check if the problem is fixed.
Fix 3. Relocate Steam Installation and Game Files
If you are not able to fix Steam content file locked problem by following the methods mentioned above, then you can try this one even with Mi Unlock Tool. Even though the location of the files won’t cause any problem to your Steam but sometimes users were able to fix this issue by this method. You can relocate the Steam installation and game files to another location and then try running them. Here is how you can do this:
- Open Steam and click on Settings.
- Navigate to Downloads and click on Steam Library Folders.
- Now tap on Add Library Folder button and select a New Folder for Steam files.
- Close the Steam Client and navigate to Default Steam Directory – C:\Program Files\Steam
- Delete all files from that folder except Steam.exe file, UserData, and SteamApp folders.
- Now move the remaining Steam.exe file with UserData and SteamApp folders in the New Directory you have made above.
- Open the Steam again and try running the game that was causing the problem.
Fix 4. Disable Defender/Antivirus Software
There are many antivirus software out there that might detect the files of Steam as a threat and will disable them from being used by the system. If you are facing content file locked Steam update issue then you can try disabling the antivirus software or Windows Defender to know if they are causing this issue. Remember that you must temporarily disable the antivirus software and not uninstall it. Another thing that you can do is to add the game directory as an exception in the antivirus app that is flagging it. Below we have mentioned the steps to disable necessary settings in the McAfee antivirus to get rid of this problem.
- First of all, open McAfee antivirus and select “Virus and Spyware Protection”.
- Find “Real-Time Scanning” and Turn It Off.
- Restart your system and open the Steam app.
- Navigate to Library.
- Right-Click on the game that was causing the problem.
- Click on Properties and select Local Files Tab.
- Click Verify Integrity of Game button.
- Wait for a few minutes till Steam verify the files of the game and update the out-dated files.
Most of the time your problem will be fixed with this issue and remember that the process remains the same in all of the antivirus software. If you are searching for Steam content file locked AVG or Steam content file locked Avast, even then you can follow these steps to for a working content file locked Steam fix.
Fix 5. Run Steam As Administrator
People always have a habit of double-clicking to open a program. If you double-click on anything it will just open with normal privileges. Though if you are facing Steam update content file locked then you should try opening the Steam app as Administrator. There are two ways to do that and you can follow any one of them to get the work done. The first option is simple as you just have to Right-Click On Steam Icon and select Run As Administrator option to run the program with administrative privileges. The second method is mentioned below and you just have to follow the steps mentioned below to use that.
- Right-click on the Steam icon on the desktop.
- Select Properties from the list.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Under Settings, find and tick Run this program as administrator option.
- Click on Apply, then click on OK to save the settings.
- Now try opening the Steam app again to see if the problem is fixed.
So this is all about the Steam error content file locked and we hope you have found what you were looking for. There are many websites out there where you can find ways to fix Steam content file locked wallpaper engine, but beware of the fake websites and tools to fix it. You can follow the ways mentioned above to fix the Content file locked Steam error easily without worrying about anything.
We will keep updating this post with the latest information on how to fix Steam content file locked error, so keep visiting Roarke Software to know about it. You can also transfer Steam games to another hard drive to free up some space in the hard drive where Steam is installed. If you are facing any issues in solving Steam content file locked error, then you can ask us for help via comments below.