USB device not recognized Windows 10 is a common problem and you don’t have to worry much about it. Sometimes, you may get this issue with an error stating “device descriptor request failed”. There are many reasons why you might be getting an unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) error. It can occur because of a recently installed program, but most of the time the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned error will come because of faulty hardware. If you are facing a USB device descriptor failed problem, you landed on the correct page.
Here in this post, we are going to tell you everything about device descriptor request failed Windows 10. We will also tell you about the best ways to fix USB not recognized Windows 10. Before moving on, we will recommend you to try restarting your system once as problems like unknown USB device device descriptor request failed can also be solved by a restart. If you are getting an unknown USB device error on a particular device, then you can try plugging it in another Windows device to see if it is able to read it.
- Also Read About: How To Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
- 1 What Is Device Descriptor Request Failed Error?
- 2 How To Fix Unknown USB Device Windows Error [7 Methods]
- 3 FAQs Related To USB Not Recognized Windows 10
What Is Device Descriptor Request Failed Error?
Device Descriptor on Windows is responsible for identifying various information about the connected USB devices. When a device fails to provide this crucial information, Windows doesn’t recognize it. You will not be able to use the USB device if you getting this particular error on a USB device. Most of the time, this error will because of missing, outdated, or corrupted USB drivers. Depending on the cause of this problem, you can apply the fixes mentioned below. Don’t forget to restart your system after making any changes to check if the unknown USB device port reset failed problem has been solved.
USB Device Not Recognized Windows 10 Causes
As we told above, there are various reasons behind the unknown USB device descriptor request failed error. If a USB device not recognized Windows 10 keeps popping up on your screen, then there are some issues with a particular app. Although if Windows 10 USB not working on a specific USB port, then there can be issues with the port as well. Here are some of the most common causes of unknown USB device descriptor request failed Windows error:
- Missing/corrupt USB drivers.
- Damaged USB device.
- Hardware/software issue.
- BIOS not updated to the latest version.
- Not enough power supply.
How To Fix Unknown USB Device Windows Error [7 Methods]
Use Windows Troubleshooting Tool
As compared to other versions of Windows, Windows 10 has a lot more powerful tools. Almost all minor problems with Windows can be fixed with the Windows Troubleshooting Tool. This applies as well to unknown USB device device descriptor request failed Windows 10 and Windows 10 taskbar won’t hide. Here’s how you can find this tool to fix Unknown USB devices (invalid device descriptors) in Windows 10:
- Click on the Start button and type: Troubleshooter.
- Select the Troubleshoot Settings option.
- Click on the Hardware and Devices option.
- Now, click on Run The Troubleshooter.
If your Windows 10 device encounters an unknown device error, Windows will automatically launch the troubleshooter to resolve the issue.
Check Power Supply and Connected Devices
Unplugging and plugging the devices again is the best way to fix the unknown USB device invalid device descriptor error. Make sure all of the power adapters and cables work, as well as any external devices including the printer, keyboard, and mouse. Check if any other devices are having issues (including the affected USB device) as you plug each device in.
We recommend not making any further changes to your system if your USB device descriptor failed Windows 10 error problem is fixed by this solution. Try one of the other USB device descriptor request failed fixes mentioned below if the above does not work.
- Also Read About: How To Fix NVIDIA Control Panel Missing
Scan Windows For Hardware Changes
It is possible that your USB device was not detected when connected to your Windows device. You can fix this by scanning for hardware changes on your system. Not only do you fix the device descriptor request failed, but you can also fix any other problems you might be experiencing, like the unknown USB device set address failed. Here’s you can do this:
- Right-click on Start Button and click on Device Manager.
- On the Menu Bar, click on Action.
- Next, click on Scan For Hardware Changes.
Alternatively, you can also click on the Computer With Magnifying Glass icon available under the Menu Bar. Also, this can be achieved by right-clicking anywhere in the device manager window.
Update Windows Generic USB Drivers
To fix issues like “USB device not recognized the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned”, you need to update the USB drivers. The Device Manager in Windows is used to perform these tasks, as well as third-party tools. Below you will find some instructions on how to update USB drivers on Windows 10.
- First of all, open Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Right-click on Generic USB Hub Drivers.
- Click on the Update Driver option.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Simply, click on Search Automatically For Drivers.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Once it is done, restart your device to make changes.
Reinstall USB Device Drivers
Another quick-fix for device descriptor request failed USB not working windows 10 is USB drivers reinstallation. As you probably know, a Windows computer, automatically installs drivers for every device you connect to it. When the driver gets outdated or corrupt, that particular device or port will stop working. The only solution here is to update the driver for that device to make it work again.
- Open Device Manager. You can do it in two ways.
- Open the RUN box, type devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- Right-click on Start Button, click on Device Manager.
- Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers option.
- Select the device with Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) error.
- Right-click and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling, plug-in your device again to make Windows install its drivers again.
Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
That’s why the USB device won’t work well because of this Windows setting and you can remove filerepmetagen. USB Selective Suspend can suspend a particular USB port, and maybe that is why you are getting an unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) error. You can easily disable this setting from the Control Panel but we will recommend you to do this only when the methods mentioned above failed to work.
- Open Control Panel (not Windows Settings).
- Navigate to System and Security -> Power Options.
- Click on Change Plan Settings (the one you are using currently).
- Now, click on Change Advanced Power Settings.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Expand the USB Settings option.
- Again, expand USB Selective Suspend Setting.
- Disable both On Battery and Plugged In options.
- Click on Apply button, then on OK.
- Restart your PC to make changes.
Disable Fast Startup On Windows
If you fail to configure it properly, it can cause quite a few problems with your computer if you want it to boot up as fast as possible. The chances of you running into an error message such as device descriptor request failed are very less because of this setting. Nevertheless, you might want to deactivate this feature and see if you are facing an unknown USB device device descriptor request failed error because of it. Here’s how you can do it:
- First of all, open Control Panel.
- Go to Power Options.
- Select Choose What The Power Buttons Do.
- Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.
- Under Shut-Down Settings, uncheck Turn On Fast Start-Up option.
- Click on Save Changes and restart your device.
FAQs Related To USB Not Recognized Windows 10
What Is A USB Device Descriptor?
USB_Device_Descriptor verifies a USB device when connected to the system. It identifies various information like VendorID, DeviceID, Manufacturer, etc. When Device Descriptor fails to verify such information, it gives an error like a request for the USB device descriptor failed.
How To Fix USB Device Descriptor Failed?
Depending on the cause of the device descriptor failed problem, you can apply a fix to it. Possible solutions are updating USB drivers, unplugging external devices, BIOS update, USB switching, and more. We have listed a few working USB port not working Windows 10 solutions.
What Causes Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed?
Problems with USB devices like a request for the USB device descriptor failed or Windows not recognizing USB can be caused because of hardware fault while installing or because of wrong system settings and recently installed program. Revert recently made changes is the best solution to this problem.
What Is Invalid Device Descriptor?
When USB not detected Windows 10 or USB device malfunctioned, it gives you Device Descriptor Failed error. You can try updating the USB drivers on your Windows to check if the problem has been fixed or, you can try using the same USB on a different port of your device.
How Do I Fix Device Descriptor Failed Code 43?
Windows 10 USB not recognized or USB fix code 43 USB can be fixed by uninstall the USB device and scanning your system for hardware changes. You can also reinstall the drivers for that specific USB device from Device Manager. Other possible Code 43 error fixes are available on this page.
So this is all about how to fix device descriptor request failed error. We hope you are able to fix the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it problem with these solutions. If your USB drive not working, then it will start working after applying these fixes.
We will keep this post updated with more methods to fix USB device not recognized Windows 7, so keep visiting Roarke Software to know about them. If you know some more methods about how do I get my computer to recognize a USB device? then let us know about them via the comments below so we can include them in this post.